Fit Mom Approved

Saturday, October 9, 2010

How to Motivate Fit Kids and Family


Hi Fit Moms! Here are some tips for you that I do to keep my family fit, healthy and active!

Select toys and activities that require MOVEMENT: push/pull toys, balls, catching games, hula hoops as opposed to video games or DVDs.


Pantry Raid: I tossed out all candy, cookies, fattening chips and sodas years ago. My theory is that "if it's not in the house I/we can't eat it."


Get your crunchy (chip) fix with mini carrots, baked chips, baked tortillas, pita chips.




High-Low: Walk the dog and discuss the highs and lows of the day



Freeze dance-kids love this, you burn calories, you can dance as silly as you want since no one is watching you!



Do productive things together that are active and fun and get chores done: wash the dog, the car, see "who can put away 10 things the fastest."


Keep sliced veggies and hummus in the 'frig for easy-eat snacks.


Always eat breakfast. No exception.


Eat healthy snacks in between meals.


My kids love to paint and color. I tell them to choose foods like you're painting a picture: colorful with lots of texture.


New Foods Game at the Market: I let my kids pick a new fruit or veggie at the market to try. We eat it that night and discuss why we like (or don't like it.)


I use soda, chips and cookies as "once in awhile treats." Not a regular choice.



Bottled water is always the first choice for drinks.


I cook large quantities of whatever the meal is, I portion it up and freeze for later. This way I have healthy food that is easy to reheat on those busy days.















It's amazing what you will eat when you are starving. If you make healthier options available to you, it will be easy to feed your body with nutritious foods.


I serve sliced zucchini and mini carrots with low fat ranch dip to the kids for appetizers, while I am preparing the rest of the dinner. They eat it up!





















Every Sunday I will make 2 dozen whole wheat pancakes with an added scoop of steel oats and/or trail mix pre chopped in the food processor.  I put the pancakes in an airtight container to reheat in the toaster on busy mornings. This is a much healthier and more economical option to the brands you by in the grocery store.







I chop of several types of fruit and put them in labeled containers. This is a healthy addition to yogurt for breakfasts or after school snacks.







Hard boil 2 dozen eggs and put them back into the carton. I write "Hard Boiled" directly on the carton. My kids love them in their lunch box and after school.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts & comments with other Moms in 96 countries! Mom on a mission, Kiana Tom / Founder FitMomTV.com

Featured Posts

Fit Mom Shirts - back in stock! $9.95!

Fit Mom Shirts - back in stock! $9.95!
Limited Offer: Includes FREE Fit Mom Pen & License Plate Frame with purchase!