Fit Mom Approved

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Healthy Halloween Treats



I have done alot of things in my life: hosting tv shows, acting in major motion pictures, television dramas and comedies, commercials, producing, directing, writing and creating tv shows, interviews, music, art, sports and even accomplishing some of my travel dreams: hiking to the top of Machu Picchu in Peru, walking atop a glacier in Alaska and dining at the US Ambassadors home in Japan after performing in the City to name a few.

Discovered in 1911, Machu Picchu is one of the most beautiful locations in the world. The city is made of stones weighing up to 50 tons. How did they get up there? There weren't tractors back then.....

But, here is something I NEVER thought I would get to do. The other day I had the honor of leading my first born daughter's Brownie Troop in a fun Fitness and Food Class so they could earn their Badge.

From my point of view, for over 20 years, I've helped millions of people around the world learn about health and fitness. It's a whole new meaning to me when it's for my own children and their friends. Quite a significant part of my life.  It was a real treat.

My first born is now 8. Helping her Brownie Troop is so very special.
They grow up too fast.


What fun we had! Here is what we did.

Food:

Since Halloween is coming up, we made Spooky Snacks that were Apple Mouths with Straggly Teeth and Tongues.


Ingredients: Red and green apples, sharp knife (for adults only), almond slices and cheddar cheese.


Fit Mom bragging rights: I asked my daughter what the "tongues" should be made of and at first she said "Fruit Roll Ups." She quickly said, "No wait Mommy, those have too much sugar, let's use cheddar cheese slices and besides that tastes better with crunchy apples." (Sigh. This Fit Mom is so proud.)




After our Spooky Snacks, I taught them how to read the Nutritional Breakdown on packaged cereals and crackers. They quickly learned what to look for and all have fun picking the "healthier sweet cereal."


Fitness:

Then it was on to the Fitness part of the Badge. I led them through a fun Plyometric Obstacle Course that include jumping on a mini trampoline, hopping over hurdles and bunny hopping thru a fitness ladder. 





They had so much fun cheering each other on as they took turns on the course. Little did they know they were doing Plyometrics that are done by highly trained professional athletes for training to increase muscle speed and power. 

I have incorporated many Plyometrics into thousands of Kiana's Flex Appeal shows for ESPN. These exercises are a really fun way to lose fat and tighten your body FAST.

Here is a sample of a recent Plyometric workout I did for CBS Health, "Flab to Fab with Kiana." 

Flab to Fab CBS Health

For another convenient workout to do at home, try the Fitness Band DVD to tighten your entire body. It's a wonderful workout using the Fitness Band as resistance.


Fit Moms Lead by example.











3 comments:

  1. Great Blog!!!
    Let Your Readers Know about The Best Alternative to Prescription Drugs!
    100% All Natural Herbal Medicines!
    100% FDA Approved!!!!
    All Natural Health Supplents!!!
    Experience the Benefits of All Natural Herbal Health HERE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these ideas!! I really want to be a healthy influence in my daughter's life also..but now I'm a little concerned we've already adapted a few bad habits. How can I fix that without the terrible tantrums?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana: The best way to redirect you and your kids from bad habits is to do it gradually and make it fun. For example, if they are used to junk foods, replace fries with their favorite fruit and let them have the fried chicken fingers with low fat ranch. Gradually introduce grilled skinless chicken slices and as alternative with "1" chicken fingers after they eat that. etc. Whatever you decide, make sure and go overboard with the praise. Hope that helps! Kiana Super Fit Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts & comments with other Moms in 96 countries! Mom on a mission, Kiana Tom / Founder FitMomTV.com

Featured Posts

Fit Mom Shirts - back in stock! $9.95!

Fit Mom Shirts - back in stock! $9.95!
Limited Offer: Includes FREE Fit Mom Pen & License Plate Frame with purchase!