Fit Mom Approved

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sugar Junkie Blog by Rebecca Hill. “It’s Not Just a Love of Cupcakes…”

Sugar Junkie Blog by Guest Blogger and published Author, Rebecca Hill.

January 23, 2011

Rare is the day that I’m at a loss for words, but …I’m at a loss for words. Meditation is hard! (At least it is for me.)

The first day I meditated my cat, ‘Anais the Siamese’ started crawling all over for me so ½ way through my meditation song I gave up and just started playing string with her and feeding her ‘Turkey Treats’. The second day as I was trying to follow Deepak Chopra’s instructions and contemplate “Who Am I?” I started fretting, which turned into panicking because the person I am is not exactly the person I expected to become; and it is certainly not the person my family and childhood/high-school/college friends expected me to be. For the most part, I like who I am; but as I thought about my true beliefs, I found it hard to breath as I imagined the full force of how disappointed my family and many friends would be if I were completely straightforward with them about how liberal my views really are. And as I started panicking at the thought of losing my family and many of my friends my first thought was “I really need some cupcakes.” which reinforced my suspicion that my struggle with my weight is not really “what I’m eating”, it’s “WHAT’s EATING ME!?!” I’m wondering if that’s true of any of you? I’m sure we’ve all got different types of issues going on in our lives but I think it’s probably these issues (not simply a love of cupcakes) that leads us to do things like eat a dozen cupcakes in the grocery store parking lot after a bad day. (Please tell me y’all sometimes eat cupcakes in the grocery store parking lot too…do you?)

In any case, the third day I meditated, I fell asleep.

I wanted to see if others were having any luck answering Deepak’s question so I turned to my friends to see how they were doing with it. My girlfriend, Cheree said, “When asked to answer the question ‘Who am I?’ I initially thought in broad stoke single words like brave, caring, fun. Then I dove a little deeper because those single word descriptions are so general and all really don't apply every day to who I think I am, I'm still discovering myself! Everyday, if I really take a moment to think of my reactions, my honest feelings about what is happening to me or around me, my actions in my career, marriage and friendships, I come to the realization that I am in process of becoming my personal best for each day. That is who I am, my own personal best. And I will be better tomorrow and will not be defined by a single word, group or philosophy.”



As for the challenges of quieting my mind long enough to meditate, I reached out to my favorite yoga teacher in the world – Wendy Hartley. Wendy said, “The purpose of meditation is to watch and observe your thinking mind. Through the power of your breathing you can slow your thinking. The longer you sit (for me it is in the 20-30 minute mark where there is a lot of space between my thoughts) the more you get to release the nonsense and see with greater clarity. The natural state of our mind is to think and create. But with concentrated focus we are better aware of what we are entertaining. I like the idea of pondering the big questions, but usually the answers to those big ones come when your mind hasn't been "forced" let's say, but spontaneously enters stillness (like right before sleep for example) or meditating without expectations. I do love Deepak's work. The mind may not even quiet in a whole hour of sitting, but practicing awareness to your thinking patterns gives you the power to change. Happy sitting. Have Tom practice too.”



So, then I asked my husband, Tom to try meditating. It did not go well for him either… Seems a cat was bothering him too!



(Thanks for reading my blog. If you have time, do contemplate what my yoga instructor Wendy said and try to find time to meditate; I really do think meditation is important and I will continue to try to make this practice a part of my daily life too. Also, please ask yourself, and try to answer Deepak's question “Who Am I?“ in the comments section below. Maybe start the sentence with, “I am….” (then fill in the blank and see what you come up with.) And remember, you can post your comment as “Anonymous” if you’re not ready to claim yourself yet. Have a good week! – Rebecca)

Rebecca Hill is the author of “Confessions of an Innkeeper” and “Don’t You Worry, Don’t You Cry.” Her stories have also appeared in Redbook Magazine and in several Chicken Soup for the Soul anthologies.  


http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Soup-Soul-Encouraging-Fitness/dp/1935096575

8 comments:

  1. Rebecca,

    First I have to tell you. I'd love you no matter how different our political views might be. I would never end our friendship because we have different ideas or beliefs. Duh!?

    And secondly, YES-I have eaten a (OK several) cupcake(s) in the grocery store parking lot! PMS is an animal! DUH!!!

    I agree meditating is important-but I always end up thinking about "Horton Hears a Who"--know what I mean?! How is it that the Earth is suspended in space? How did we get here? Stuff like that.

    Have a great week!
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am...... This is harder to answer than I would have thought. I am a mom of four, wife to one, teacher to many, but who am I really? A runner, and an athlete (not a label I ever thought I would embrace). A woman who craves balance in her life: work, home, church, friends. A friend with a servant heart? Today that is what I strive to be. Sometimes though, I am simply a woman who also eats cake (my fave is carrot cake with cream cheese frosting) in the grocery store parking lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree!! Every time I try to meditate or do yoga at home, my Downward Dog is interrupted by my wayward dog, Lucy Jane. Then, I just give up and have a cookie. I was inspired by you to download a self hypnosis app on my phone, however. Maybe that will work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rebecca Hill, Kiana Tom. Kiana Tom said: Sugar Junkie Blog by Rebecca Hill. “It’s Not Just a Love of Cupcakes…” http://t.co/7SncUDy via @fitmomtv [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca, this is a really good blog, and everytime I try to write a sentence or two about it, I end up deleting it and rethinking what I want to say.

    Your thoughts and feelings in this blog deserve more than a few sentences, so I'm at a loss. I'll think about it more and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your open mindedness, Careen! And I laughed out loud when you said during meditation your mind drifts from thinking about Deepak Chopra's questions of "Who Am I?" "What is my purpose?" ...to instead thinking about "Horton Hears A Who" - what a riot! Do try to quiet your mind though ...but keep that wicked sense of humor - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, seems we share many things from craving balance in our lives to loving carrot cake (and occasionally eating it in the grocery store parking lot!) It is hard to answer the question of "who am I?" We look for external things to answer that question/ define our identities and that's a good start ...but it gets more complicated (for me, anyway) when I look inward and try to answer that question. I know I am Tom's wife, "Anais the Siamese's" mom (I'm one of those 'crazy cat ladies' who actually thinks Anais is a baby)....I know I'm a trainer at Curves and that my wildest dream is to become a working author and entertain others while exploring my own thoughts/beliefs through writing...but "who am I?" I am...I am....I am ...still searching, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let Kiana and me know how the self hypnosis app on your phone works out, Roxy! Love that and hope it works!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts & comments with other Moms in 96 countries! Mom on a mission, Kiana Tom / Founder FitMomTV.com

Featured Posts

Fit Mom Shirts - back in stock! $9.95!

Fit Mom Shirts - back in stock! $9.95!
Limited Offer: Includes FREE Fit Mom Pen & License Plate Frame with purchase!