Fit Mom Approved

Friday, January 14, 2011

Fit Mom of the Month: Katy Smallwood


My story....what makes me a fit mom you ask??? Here goes:


2007 Was a Very “good”? Year…life lessons learned I am submitting my “story”, my “journey” my “tale” in hopes that other women in similar situations know that despite some crummy odds and seemingly HUGE challenges you can achieve your best, most fit and healthiest self and have a great life.

The year was 2007, I was pregnant and on bedrest with my second child. My pregnancy was considered “high risk” due to my pregnancy induced condition called “polyhydramnios” as well as being over 35-advanced maternal age-blah who wants to hear that? Basically, from week 20 on my amniotic fluid levels rose to dangerously high levels.  I was literally about to pop! Usually, amniotic fluid decreases as a pregnancy progresses. Reasons for it were varied but weekly ultrasound and non stress testing showed my little girl, Maggie, was completely “normal” by all visual accounts. That said, my gut told me that all was not “typical”.


Maggie was delivered a week early due to my condition. Within 24 hours she was diagnosed with Treacher Collins Syndrome. She earned her ticket to the NICU within 24 hours of being born. If you google TCS, you will get freaked out. It can be very drastic, disfiguring and debilitating. Lucky for us, Maggie’s was and continues to be moderate. She is Deaf but wears hearing aids. Early on she had some medical issues related & unrelated to TCS. Today, she is a thriving, sassy and tough little girlie who charms and endears everyone she meets. I am blessed….but the story does not stop there… …

When Maggie was 5 months old I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. What? Me? Cancer? I had to stop pumping (due to TCS with her small jaw she couldn’t latch and therefore couldn’t nurse…I pumped for 7 months…).I had a total thyroidectomy with multiple lymph node removal in November 2007. Due to complications with my calcium & magnesium blood levels I stayed in the hospital for a week…versus the 24-36 hr stay we had anticipated. That said…I am blessed that I had and continue to have the best medical care from amazing doctors.

The “wake” from having a wacky thyroid then no thyroid left me overweight, depressed with my hair falling out, fingernails that wont grow and generally bloated & unattractive. I was tired, achy …but still happy to be here…happy to be alive. No matter how early cancer is caught or how “slight” it is made out to be it is still in YOU. In your body. It coats every cell of your body and brain. The overall feeling when you are diagnosed is “get it the heck out”.  But, I SURVIVED!

So, I decided to “take the bull by the horns”…and so my story continues…  …

Spring 2008…  Thru Golds Gym I worked with the best personal trainer…ever…Dan G. I am still in touch with him and can ask him anything-STILL. He was a “gift” for me.  In his personal trainer wisdom he told me,”If you want to lose weight, change your diet. If you want to change your body lift weight”. And so the first exercise he ever had me do was a barbell squat in the big scary squat rack. I haven’t looked back since. And…squats are still my fave exercise….



The last leg of my journey…October 9, 2010. I placed first in Womens Figure Overall Novice Class and Womens Figure Overall 35+ classes at the “Charm City Classic Bodybuilding & Figure Competition” held in Baltimore, MD.  I knew then I was bit by the fitness bug and wouldn’t be returning to my previous self…

Then, on October 23, 2010 I placed 3rd in the Open Tall Division at the Yorton Cup Nationals in Bethesda Maryland, a pro qualifying event. I got into the best shape of my life…ever. I ate clean and continue to do so. I turned my workouts into my therapy, my stress reliever. And, it propelled me to a place that just a few months earlier had seemed, well…impossible. Nothing is. I really feel like my experiences have taught me to live life like I mean it. I am a better mother, wife, friend, daughter because of all I have been through. And, I hope my journey helps someone just like me see that they can do it, too…
Thanks for taking the time to read about my journey! It means a lot to me!

Sincerely,"Fit Mom" Katy Smallwood



Be the next Fit Mom of the Month: Submit yourself or a Fit Mom friend to be featured. Please send a few of your favorite photographs and your Fit Mom Story to email: info@fitmomtv.com

6 comments:

  1. hi you look so sexy and have a great sexy body very nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in my twenties, my boyfriend was killed in a car crash. Totally beside myself and insane with grief, I hit the gym. I was in awesome shape. Somewhere along the line, I fell out of my gym groove. I would start and stop, start and stop but never get any where close to where I was. I am now close to 50, had an off week, but can't wait to hit the gym during the week.

    Katy inspires, encourages and brightens the room. She's living proof that YOU CAN DO IT. Now, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, I am incredibly impressed, moved and inspired by the positive attitude you showed every step of the way of this journey. Your kids could not be luckier - what an amazing person (and mom!) you are! Wow ...best wishes as your journey continues to unfold! I'm sure with your outlook and disposition good things are headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy! I am so very proud of you and inspired by your physical and mental strength, drive, motivation and love. Your story is the best example of inner strength translating to your body and family. Good for you! Thank you for submitting your wonderful and moving story with Moms in 100 countries who share your passion for health and fitness! Your family must be so proud of you! Go, Fit Mom Katy!

    You are the perfect example of a Fit Mom!

    Kiana Tom
    Founder and Host Fit Mom TV
    Kiana's Flex Appeal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your blogs with me. Your smiling face and pump it up attitude really motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how Katy's family feels about their mom being bit by the fitness bug and not returning to her previous self. Leading a healthy fit life is admirable. Becoming obsessed with one is not. There are casualties when one decides so emphatically to lead a self-center life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts & comments with other Moms in 96 countries! Mom on a mission, Kiana Tom / Founder FitMomTV.com

Featured Posts

Fit Mom Shirts - back in stock! $9.95!

Fit Mom Shirts - back in stock! $9.95!
Limited Offer: Includes FREE Fit Mom Pen & License Plate Frame with purchase!